commons-dev mailing list archives

From steve cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [net] 1.2 release (Re: [net] checked in parser factory implementation)
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:27:22 GMT
There's still one problem with deprecating FTPFileListParser.
The one method of this interface (parseFileList()) is used in the
VMSFTPEntryParser.  There is an implementation here that is distinct from the
default one in FTPFileListParserImpl.

This is for a very good reason.  The idea of a File Entry parser (as opposed
to a File List parser) was to parse each entry separately.  This was a good
idea and allowed for cleaner logic to be used.  It made the business of not
creating FTPFile objects until needed possible.

The only problem here was in the VMS case where versioning is turned on.  In
that case the question of whether or not to "keep" an entry depends on the
existence of other entries with the same name and different version numbers.
In that case you do want a whole-list parsing mechanism.

If we still want to deprecate FTPFileListParser, I would recommend, then, that
we move parseFileList() into the FTPFileEntryParser interface.  However, I
wanted to throw this question out there for general comment before I do that.