commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [collections] CaseInsensitiveHashMap
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:00:49 GMT

--- Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> From: "David Graham" <grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com>
> > Just out of curiosity, why are you leaving Hash out of the names?  The
> > Java idiom seems to be to indicate a collection's implementation in
> the
> > name.  Even the standard WeakHashMap maintains the "Hash" portion of
> the
> > name.  I'm not particularly tied to CaseInsensitiveHashMap but I chose
> > that name based on current Java practices.
>
> Because people have assumed in the past that an XxxHashMap extends
> HashMap
> (normal Java naming practices). Its really just duplicate info anyway.

java.util.WeakHashMap does not subclass java.util.HashMap but still
includes "Hash" in the name.  They did that to indicate that it uses a
hashtable in its implementation not that it subclasses a particular class.
 So, I still believe the current Java practice is to indicate the impl. in
the collection class name.

David