commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [site] Out of date: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/components .html
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:27:49 GMT
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, David Graham wrote:

> --- Gary Gregory <ggregory@seagullsw.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The page http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/components.html is out of
> > date
> > WRT lang, httpclient and maybe others.
> >
> > If every project has a project.xml, maybe the page could be
> > auto-generated
> > when project is rev'ed?
>
> I'd like to see that page removed because it's yet another step in the
> already time consuming release process.  It's easy to forget to update it
> which leads to the current situation.  I don't see what value it adds to
> the site with the components already listed in the left nav.

I am against removing the page completely. The value in this page is in
its brief summary of what, exactly, is in Commons. A newcomer to the site
would otherwise have to click through to each component individually in
order to figure out what is what.

I can see that the release information could easily get out of date, so
I'd be OK with removing that from the page. However, I'd still like to
keep the grouping of released, pre-released, etc. because that is also
useful information for newcomers (and quick-stop visitors).

--
Martin Cooper