commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [commons] archives assistance
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:30:44 GMT
Quoting "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" <ejung@russellmellon.com>:

> Hi,
> This is a general question for all commons projects, since they share the
> same mailing list:
>
> 1. Why do they all share the same mailing list?

I know you got your specific technical concerns addressed later in this thread,
but I'd like to express a personal opinion that the fact that all the commons
projects share dev and user mailing lists has been criticial to the overall
success of Jakarta Commons.  In particular, the cross-fertilization we see of
developers picking up on needs in related subprojects would have *never*
happened if all the dev lists were separate.

> 2. (More importantly) I can't find a means to search the archives by project.
> For example, searching on "[Configuration]" in mail subjects at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com results in (a) the brackets being removed from
> the search criteria and (b) all mailing lists (not just jakarta-commons)
> being searched -- there is no "search by subject within mailing list x"
> option.

That sounds like an appropriate bug report to the mail archive server you're
using :-).

> I get similar results from http://www.mail-archive.com; brackets are removed
> from search criteria, so searching on "[Configuration]" yields results with
> every email that contains the word "configuration" -- needless to say, this
> an overwhelming number and spans all projects in the Commons.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.
>
> Eric H. Jung
> Russell/Mellon Analytical Services
> 1-617-382-1373