commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [docs] mavenization of documentation [WAS Re: [beanutils] website moved to maven]
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:29:14 GMT
On 28 Jan 2004, at 14:09, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Just give me some specifics based on the existing site, and I'll have a
> go.

great :)

the commons is now using common elements in the navigation bar. these
are typically absolute urls pointing to useful ASF, jakarta and
jakarta-commons resources. this helps to tie together the whole site.

the method we use (including them as an external entity) sucks but
requires no special setup or software (unlike xinclude).

the problem is that these common elements take up a huge amount of
visual real estate (for example see
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/) and separate the component
specific information. i played around a little last night try to them
collapsable (like the maven generate reports and info menus are) with
something like this http://www.apache.org/~rdonkin/navigation.jpg in
mind.

the problem is that the collapsable elements don't work since there's
no pages for them to refer to. the pages should contain the same
content as the main index but have the particular menu item expanded.

i'll probably be hanging out on the maven irc (when i'm online) so if
i'm around that'd be a quick way to get some better explaination.

- robert