commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <>
Subject Re: [collections] CaseInsensitiveHashMap
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:46:15 GMT
From: "Phil Steitz" <>
> >>Could be I was being too lazy.  Since toLower() is "idempotent" (calling
> >>it repeatedly has same effect as calling it just once) it "works" to
> >>override convert(), since in AbstractHashedMap, get, put, remove,
> >>containsKey, all start by converting the key (nice!).  All I did was to
> >>extend HashedMap and override convert to return
> >>key.toString().toLowerCase().  The effect is that you actually store all
> >>lower case strings as keys (or null, once I fix this). The behavior
> >>be the same as the impl that David Graham posted with PR #24537 (unless
> >>am missing something -- quite possible).
> >
> > This impl will work, but I would prefer to see the case of the key
> > maintained, just the comparison to be case insensitive.
> Why exactly?  Would you expect equals to distinguish
> CaseInsensitiveHashMaps that differ only on key case?

Well CaseInsensitive as a name doesn't imply to me that it changes anything.
It implies that is compares insenstively (including equals, which should be
handled). This map would be a LowerCaseKeyMap or some such.

It strikes me that if I put a key in one way, I should get it back that way

BTW: the names now exclude 'Hash' as much as possible, hence it would be

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message