commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rob Oxspring" <roxspr...@imapmail.org>
Subject [CLI] Refactoring plans
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:51:34 GMT
This is just a quick heads up to let you know what I've got planned in the next few days for
the cli2 package (on the ROXSPRING branch) it's mostly refactoring and minor stuff before
I get back to experimenting with option paths.

1) Refactor CommandLine.  This class is getting pretty big and I'm hoping I can rationalise
it a little, firstly by extracting readonly and writeable interfaces, and then probably moving
some (potential) functionality to decorators.

CommandLine << interface
WriteableCommandLine << interface
CommandLineImpl << implements both of above
TypedCommandLine << decorates CommandLine (provide typed getValue() varients)
DefaultingCommandLine << decorates CommandLine (defaults provided by alternative CommandLine
or maybe configuration?)

2) Repackage some cli2.  Currently there are 33 classes/interfaces in the cli2 package and
I'd like to reduce that.  I'm not sure which direction I'll end up going but possibilities
include the following:
o.a.c.cli2.api - the interfaces and OptionException
o.a.c.cli2.impl - the implementations and other exceptions
o.a.c.cli2.commandline - the refactored CommandLine and friends
o.a.c.cli2.help - Help*
An alternative would include subpackages based on the argument/group/parent separation but
I don't see that getting us anywhere.

3) Reformat some code.  There is a slight mix of code formatting involved currently and I'd
like to pick one and bring the source in line using either checkstyle and some nagging or
jalopy.  Currently we appear to have slightly fewer checkstyle errors if we use the sun settings
rather than turbine (5290 vs5640) or we could hack at a checkstyle config and come to a custom
conclusion.  I think I'm leaning towards to sun style but am open to suggestions.

If anyone has any thoughts, wisdom, questions or suggestions they're all welcome,

Rob