commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Commons - TLP
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:41:01 GMT

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2003, at 7:50 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> > Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> >> I too stick with the Java-centric theme. I don't want to seem overly
> >> anti
> >> other programming languages, its just that IMO j-c is better of as
> >> just
> >> Java.
> >> a) Code standards, guidelines, packaging, naming, integration with
> >> JDK - all
> >> are very Java specific, and are usefully captured in the charter.
> >> b) j-c is already very busy, and if we add BCEL and perhaps some
> >> others,
> >> (which we probably should), it could get busier.
> >> c) There is no easy division within j-c. I've tried on many occasions
> >> find one, and always fail. However there is the potential for some to
> >> leave*
> >> Stephen
> >

> > I agree with all of these points, and others made by Dirk and Morgan
> > elsewhere on this thread related to the Java community aspects of
> > Jakarta in general and Jakarta Commons in particular.  One thing that
> > I would personally be very sad to lose in j-c is the regular comments
> > and discussion from Java developers (many from other Jakarta projects)
> > on Java language-related issues that come up frequently. If we were to
> > lose or dillute the Java-identity of j-c, I am afraid that the signal
> > to noise ratio on the lists might get too low to maintain the interest
> > of some of these folks.
> >
> > One more point.  While I have not participated much in the general@
> > and pmc@ discussions of where Jakarta may be headed, I think that we
> > can solve the oversight and organization problems without turning all
> > projects into TLPs and I would like to see Jakarta maintain its
> > identity and community, with j-c an important part of both.
>
> +1

+i. I want it to maintain the community, but I want Jakarta to be the
first to move to Brian Behlendorf's email a year ago in which he foresaw
sourceforge-like foundry's. I'd like Jakarta to shirk all of its projects
and set itself up as a Java portal onto Apache.

If J-C doesn't merge in with A-C, I also can see it as a part of that Java
portal, and would need to mix with the J parts in Incubator as well.

That's my future view for Jakarta. To make it mean 'Java@Apache' as most
current users think [though that will start to change next year], and to
get rid of the other parts. It would be optional though, Cocoon doesn't
have to join etc, and it can quite happily have a set of 'community rules'
that people would adhere to, or optionally adhere to.

Basically to stop Jakarta being a container and make it a category. Allow
things in multiple containers.

Hen