commons-dev mailing list archives

From jbre...@wi.rr.com (Jeffrey D. Brekke)
Subject Re: Moving up to JVM 1.4+
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:28:14 GMT

said:

> Our current server (ActiveMath) is blocked entirely by JDK 1.4: it's
> a server with slightly too heavy memory requirements and the result
> is... OutOfMemoryError on most Unix-VMs if in JDK 1.4. (especially
> true on MacOSX, very frequent on Sun and Blackdown's on Linux).
> Hence the wish not to depend on this for libraries that we would
> take.

We've also been bitten by a 1.4.0 implementation of the jvm on Windows
and that has frozen us to some extent. This one was a killer for us:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4779905.html

I understand this situation and hopefully we can provide some way to
still support pre-1.4 version if we even decide to start using
java.nio