commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" <ej...@russellmellon.com>
Subject RE: [Fileupload] Progress bar
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:54:28 GMT
Hello Craig,

>What's stopping you from doing this in a Filter already
Until your post yesterday, I didn't realize the ServletInputStream retrieved by servletRequest.getInputStream()
from Filter.doFilter() isn't read unless explicitly asked for by client code. Thanks for that
valuable information!! However, I am looking for a generalized solution that will work with
a servlet container behind a web server. I'll prototype something the way you describe just
for fun, but I doubt I'll find a real-world use for it outside my sandbox. Another point is
that many sites aren't able to use the Servlet 2.3 spec yet (including mine :(), so near-term
portability could be an issue. I'm not so concerned about that, anyway, as I am your point
re: this would only work if the servlet container isn't behind Apache HTTPD or some other
web server...

Once again, thanks for the valuable feedback! I have been a fan of your work for some years
now.

Sincerely,

Eric H. Jung
Russell/Mellon Analytical Services