commons-dev mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>
Subject Re: [lang] SystemUtils.JAVA_IO_TMPDIR
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:56:42 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:
> Note that the current implementation already does some of this catch and set
> to null business WRT SecurityExpections.

Ah, I didn't realize this.  Perhaps it isn't a big deal then -- although
I think that providing the constants in this way, although convenient,
circumvents some exception mechanisms which provide more explicit error
messages.

My point is, if something goes wrong, you'll get a NullPointerException
and have to look at System.err to see what happened.  I don't prefer
this, but perhaps others do.