commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject [all] Author tags redux
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:39:46 GMT
The subject of @author tags has been discussed on and off here and
elsewhere with no apparent consensus.  In a recent post to general@, Ted
Husted pointed to this post

<http://tinyurl.com/yrlhu>

by Greg Stein to community at apache.org, which raises some disturbing
legal and community issues around the use of @author tags. I am convinced
by his arguments that we should eliminate @author tags uniformly once we
clean up the web site and get the process of updating and publishing
contributor lists routinized (read: complete the mavenization of the j-c
web site).

I assume that this needs to be decided for each of the components
separately.  With that in mind, I would like to start by removing/omitting
@author tags from [uid] and I would like to propose that we pull them out
of [collections] and [lang] as and when we complete mavenization of the
websites for these components (or otherwise publish a full and up-to-date
contributors list).

Now would be a good time to act on [collections], since we are about to
cut a release.  So...what do we think about pulling out the @author tags
from [collections] and pushing out the maven site with 3.0?  If we want to
hold off on the mavenization until we have worked out the larger j-c site
issues, we can just add a "contributors" page to the existing site to
acknowledge contributors.  If others are in favor, I will volunteer to
grep out the @authors and do this.

Phil