commons-dev mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>
Subject Re: [io] docs and refactorings
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:42:06 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>Packages o.a.c.io.input and o.a.c.io.output
>>I'd like to merge these into one package which contains all
>>InputStreams, OutputStreams, Readers and Writers.  Currently, we have 1
>>Writer, 0 Readers, and the rest are streams.  I just think it makes more
>>sense to have these classes side by side.  For example --
>>ProxyInputStream and ProxyOutputStream, DemuxInputStream and
>>DemuxOutputStream.  These classes will most like be used together, and
>>change together, so lets put them together.
>>
>>Here are some ideas for a name:
 >>
>>o.a.c.io.streams
>>- good, but there may be readers, writers also
>

> I like this most. I don't think there is a problem if we put Readers and
> Writers in there.

OK, then perhaps io.streams is the best place.  However, I believe that
Henri preferred leaving the classes split between io.input and
io.output.  Henri, can you chime in and give us the reason for your
opinion on this again?

>>class o.a.c.io.HexDump
>>
>>This class only has one method, dump(byte[], long, OutputStream, int).
>>I would like to move this method to IOUtils as dumpHex, then deprecate
>>and remove the original class.
>

> -0. I'm thinking about visibility. I don't like filling up IOUtils with
> too much. People need to find out quickly what capabilities IO has. For
> HexDump (a class I haven't looked at, yet) I can imagine several layout
> modes. The code for that may inflate IOUtils too much for my taste.

I didn't quite understand HexDump.  If you feel that it has room to grow
and would clutter IOUtils, then let's leave it.

Also, what are the opinions on renaming IOUtils to IoUtils?  I think
there's a guideline in "Elements of Java Style" that suggests
capitalizing acronyms in this way.