commons-dev mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>
Subject [maven] developer repository?
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:58:29 GMT
I'm using Maven, but I frequently run into situations where a version of
a jar I need isn't on ibiblio.  For example, yesterday at work I needed
the postgres 7.4 jdbc driver, and also the new xdoclet 1.2, neither of
which are there yet.

For just a single developer, it's as easy as copying the jar to my local
repository.  However, in a multi-developer, multi-site situation, it
becomes a bit harder.  I don't want to have to manually provide these
jars to my fellow developers.  For these newer jars, I'm thinking of
checking them into our version control system and using Maven's jar
override feature until they are uploaded onto ibiblio.

Now, I've already filed requests for these files in the maven-upload
category in Jira as the Maven guys have suggested.  However, this
process seems to take some time.

My idea is to create a developer repository somewhere on an
apache/jakarta machine, that any committer can write to.  You could put
a jar there, specify this url as a secondary repository, and be able to
work until the jar gets put on ibiblio.

It's just a quick idea that I thought of, that may make things easier.
If I need a newer version of [betwixt] or [sql] or some other unreleased
component, I can build it myself and put it in this developer repository.

I'm already doing something like this in my public_html directory, but
I thought that maybe some other developers would like to do the same
thing.   Think about it: after a commons component is released, how long
does it take to get up on ibiblio?  In my opinion, it should be
available in a remote repository, somewhere, as soon as it is released.
  For example, [primitives] and [dbutils] still aren't there, and were
released over a month ago.

What do you think?  Is this a good idea or would it just create more
headaches?