commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:34:45 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:

>I understand the fustrations of J-C that might cause this proposal. I do
>fear the result of this change though. However, I believe that an individual
>component has the right to decide its own fate within J-C. So all I can do
>is indicate my -0 to the change at the moment as I don't think alternatives
>have yet reached a conclusion.
>
>To go to A-C means to have no supporting community other than codec
>developers.
>Will you ask for your own mailing list?

I don't see why not.  I would prefer this for a few reasons.  First, I
think that the shared mailing list is distracting from the focus needed
to produce quality software.  Second, I think that the shared mailing
list leads to an unnecessarily bulky "community".

>or be on the same list as Serf?
>Are there enough of you?

Enough people profess interest in using this product, but only a few
committers (myself and Gary) actually go about the business of
contributing.  Believe it or not, I think that components get lost in
the signal to noise ratio of the Jakarta Commons development mailing list.

>Who will judge the readiness for releases (the A-C members?)?

The Apache Commons PMC.  AFAIK, a PMC is the ultimate arbiter of release
readiness.  I see no reason to change that.

>Is there no affiliation with the rest of J-C as one community?

Why?  to make people in J-C feel better about themselves?    Seriously,
I fly contrary to this spirit of self-affirmation.  Jakarta Commons is
not a successful or thriving community.  I saw 2 CVS commit emails from
Friday, and a lot of posturing and self-affirmation.