commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:08:41 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Tim O'Brien wrote:
>

>>To this end, I propose that Jakarta Commons Codec be officially
>>transformed into Apache Commons Codec.
>>

>-0, in that I'm in favour of trying to push for an entire, or large, J-C
>to A-C-ish move. We're pretty soon going to have the kind of situation in
>which things like Codec opt to move to A-C, and I'd like to try first to
>keep the community together.
>
>If that is untenable, then I'm +1 to Codec moving, in that I'll
>definitely assist with the move and use it as a template for other moves.

I think that Jakarta Commons has a place, but I'd also like to see
multi-language implementations of Codec sooner rather than later.  I
don't have the luxury of time, and my only interest is the codebase.  If
only pieces of the "community" follow Codec.   *shrug*

If no one wants to move this over to Apache Commons than an
implementation in another language will be proposed over there ASAP.
Then we'll have two different projects addressing the exact same need in
two different TLPs - seems like an unnecessary duplication of effort.

>>#2. Commons Codec will use Jira for issue tracking.
>>

>+1. Jira rocks, and unless the company goes under I think Apache's usage
>of Jira will improve Jira. Partly due to the community here, I'm not a
>believer in open-source but in open-community, and the Jira guys grokk
>open-community.

Well we agree on something.