commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:46:46 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:

>>#1. Commons Codec will be hosted on Subversion
>>

>-1, unless I can use Eclipse to access the repos. Can Subversion work in
>some kind of CVS compatibility mode? Using a CLI is such a pain.

When did ASF development become tied to Eclipse functionality?  I've
noticed this over the past few months.  This seems a very serious
compromise.  If open source tool X doesn't support technology Y, then
get to work.

Maybe I assume too much, when I assume that the majority of ASF
committers are confortable building Apache HTTPD from source - on the
command-line.   I don't think asking Apache committers to be fluent with
the "command line 'interface'" is too demanding.

>>#2. Commons Codec will use Jira for issue tracking.
>>

>Is there any reason to use a normally commercial product here? [Same issues
>as using Clover I guess] Are folks sick of bugzilla? Not perty enough?

More itemized lists from me.  A few reasons:

A. I don't see the query page scaling very gracefully.  I select
"Commons" from the "Program" list, wait 20 seconds and then I can choose
"Codec".  Once I do that, I'm a little perplexed by the idea that every
single component in this behemoth J-C shares the same list of versions
and target milestones.   I want a separate project, with the ability to
create separate components, and versions.

B. The RoadMap - notice that Jelly has a good Roadmap - that helps
convey purpose to potential contributors.

C. Yes, it is a commercial product, but I stood by and watched as
Atlassian provided a great deal of help to the infrastructure people (
Noel and others ) who took valuable time to install this tool.