commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <e.bo...@cross-systems.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promote Configuration to Commons Proper
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:59:26 GMT
I think there are 2 copyright statements mixed here :

- the copyright of the ASF license since it's a copyrighted document
from the Apache Foundation. The date on the ASF license shouldn't be
changed, except when it's adapted for a specific component (the "you
must not reuse the project/product name" condition). For example the GPL
license is copyrighted by the FSF with a date set to 1989, 1991 and this
is never changed by projects released under the GPL (and actually they
can't change it since the license of the GPL doesn't allow modifitions).

- the copyright statement of the file, i.e. the date of its
creation/modification and the author of the code. I believe every
contributor retains the copyright on the code submitted but may assign
it to the ASF. I guess that's what happens most of the time and would
explain why a single copyright statement serves 2 purposes.

Emmanuel Bourg