commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian S O'Neill <brone...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [collections] HashedMap and subclasses
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:07:06 GMT
The "IdentityMap" caught my attention. I wrote a map with the same name
awhile back which had one extra feature. The keys were weakly
referenced. I think the name "WeakIdentityMap" is more sensible. The
implementation would clean out cleared entires as they were discovered
and before expansions. If space is freed up, then the expansion in
canceled. This map can be safely used in place of IdentityMap, but it
may have extra performance and storage overhead.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if you think that the extensible HashedMap
contains enough "override" points to make this sort of map possible
without having to implement from WeakIdentityMap from scratch. I think
all the necessary override points are there, I'll just have to see if it
works.

http://teatrove.sourceforge.net/javadoc/com/go/trove/util/IdentityMap.html