commons-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <ghow...@apache.org>
Subject jrcs/diff status
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:54:39 GMT
I just discovered the jrcs project in a renewed search for a diff
algorithm implementation compatible with the ASF license.

I searched the archives for an indication if this is a living project or
not and read the trail from september following the proposal to remove
it from Commons/Jakarta and thought I perceived at least a lazy
consensus to increase the project visibility instead of scrubbing it.  I
saw some cvs activity after that, and a post on users which seemed to
confirm that direction.

But now I see that jrcs is gone from the Commons navigation, apparently
removed in this commit with no further explanation:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=107020830121776&w=2

Was this a mistake which went unnoticed or did something happen off list?

I'm interested particularly in the diff portion of the project and have
written a quick first stab at an Ant task based on it because I need it
for work.  I'd like to see about contributing it, some utility code to
make usage simpler, and possibly developing some supporting code for
Cocoon (where I'm active) such as a generator which creates an xml
representation of a diff between files, etc.  The rcs code could prove
useful elsewhere in the Cocoon project which has struggled trying to
provide some cvs support without a cvs project which isn't GPL'd.

TIA,
Geoff