commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher W. Farnham" <chris.farn...@wrycan.com>
Subject Re: [Jelly] XML Declaration
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:00:28 GMT
Paul,

I have an architecture where some of my objects have associated jelly
scripts which are an XML representation of the object,
I call a method |'writeAsXML(File)'| and it gets written as XML to the
file.  Essentially, the jelly logic that's embedded in my
java code borrows heavily from the core:file code, but I resisted using
the core:file tag for a couple of reasons.

1) By not using the core:file tag, my jelly scripts end up looking more
like the XML they produce.
2) My own java code can have hooks into logging and reporting etc.
3) I have some custom tags which allow for the above actions to happen
recursively (when jellified objects contain other jellified objects)
    and having that code together makes it easier to maintain.
4) This does pretty much the same thing as castor's marshall behavior
except I have a lot more control of the final output and it's more
    WYSIWYG like.

I've looked closely at the source for core:file and can't see what I
might have done differently.  But in reading the explanation above,
perhaps I've answered my own question because I have a little more going
on behind the scenes than core:file, but I don't modify XMLOutput
in any way after creating it, other than simply passing it around.

Here's an example of one of my 'root' jelly scripts.  The wr:embed
object calls a similar script for each composed object in a
Component-like pattern.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<j:jelly trim="true" xmlns:j="jelly:core" xmlns:x="jelly:xml"
    xmlns:wr="jelly:com.wrycan.common.jelly.tags.wrycan.WrycanTagLibrary">
    <x:element name="book">
        <x:attribute name="xmlns">http://xml.classwell.com/clg</x:attribute>
        <x:attribute
name="xmlns:clg">http://xml.classwell.com/clg</x:attribute>
        <x:attribute
name="xmlns:xsi">http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance</x:attribute>
        <x:attribute
name="xsi:schemaLocation">${this.getSchemaLocation()}</x:attribute>
        <x:attribute name="id">${this.getId()}</x:attribute>
            <wr:embed object="${this.getMetaSystem()}" />
            <wr:embed object="${this.getMetaContent()}" />
            <wr:embed object="${this.getMetaEducation()}" />
        <bookName>${this.getBookName()}</bookName>
        <j:forEach items="${this.getSectionsList()}" var="section">
            <wr:embed object="${section}" />
        </j:forEach>
    </x:element>
</j:jelly>