commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <>
Subject [cache] Turning cache into a thin abstraction layer a la logging ?
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:24:29 GMT
It seems the cache component in the sandbox is no longer developed,
however I'm convinced there is a need for a common caching API, at least
until the JSR 107 is completed. I think the cache component could be
turned into a thin layer similar to commons logging, abstracting the
various implementations already available (JCS, OSCache, SwarmCache...).

The JCache project uses this approach (,
it tries to implement the first published specifications of the JSR 107,
but it seems the final specification will be completely different and
Map based.

For the API I was thinking at :
- a Cache interface extending the java.util.Map interface and adding a
CacheException on the put, get, remove and clear methods.
- the CacheException would be a runtime exception so that a cache can be
used as a Map without additional try catch blocks
- an abstract CacheFactory with a static getCache(String region) method
(and maybe a similar getCache(Class cls) method)
- Cache and Factory implementations for some open source caches (at
least JCS)
- a simple cache implementation, wrapping the LRUMap from commons
collections for example
- the component will not be responsible for the configuration of the cache

I'm willing to contribute if it is seen as a step in the right direction.

Emmanuel Bourg

View raw message