commons-dev mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <>
Subject Re: [collections] AMap/IterableMap name
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 00:06:29 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I can think of various possible names:
>  Map2 - follows Sun naming standards for replacing interfaces
>  MapA - similar idea, but doesn't clash if Sun ever creates Map2
>  AMap - similar idea but reversed (A is for Apache)
>  IMap - similar idea, but I is for interface
>  IterableMap - the long name
> If people favour IterableMap, then thats fine. I was looking for something
> short to indicate that this should be a general replacement to using Map.
> Maybe IterableMap is clearer though
> Naming opinions please?

I like IterableMap, but I can also see why you wanted a short name.

What about XMap or MapX, to indicate a "Map extension", like the javax.*

Similarly, HashMapX and XHashMap could be used instead of HashedMap.

It's kind of a strange situation, but it would be nice to come up with a
nice naming standard for classes which can replace their JDK
counterparts.   Any other suggestions?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message