commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:17:38 GMT
Well, now I am switched around to a "-1" as well :-(

> From: Rodney Waldhoff 
> 1) a-c organization: I think the organizational structure of
> apache-commons (one list per component, balkanized karma rights, etc.) is
> bad for those components technically and socially, and possibly bad
> for the ASF from an oversight perspective.

I am not that familiar with a-c but I would prefer to keep all of the
Jakarta commons in one lump as much as possible. It is nicer to work and
explore in just one place, and perhaps offers more opportunity for
cross-pollination between components.

> 2) subversion: I think moving tiny components to subversion first (i.e.,
> before larger projects), creates social issues for those components. (see
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.commons.general/127> for more
> on this)

>From my /personal/ POV, until Eclipse's 3rd party support for SVN catches up
to the current Eclipse version, using SVN will be a pain. I know a tool is
not a requirement.

> I assume this is a majority vote, not a consensus one, so this is just a
> vote, not a veto.  (If this is to be a concensus vote, I can probably be
> persuaded to change my vote to -0.  I don't really want to block this
> move if the majority really want to do it, I just think it is a bad idea
> at this time.)

Same for me.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rodney Waldhoff [mailto:rwaldhoff@apache.org]
> Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 10:33
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
> Subject: Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons
> 
> As a contributor to and user of commons-codec, I'm voting -1.
> 
> My reasons, as I've described in more detail on the apache-commons list
> and probably others, are:
> 
> 1) a-c organization: I think the organizational structure of
> apache-commons (one list per component, balkanized karma rights, etc.) is
> bad for those components technically and socially, and possibly bad
> for the ASF from an oversight perspective.
> 
> 2) subversion: I think moving tiny components to subversion first (i.e.,
> before larger projects), creates social issues for those components. (see
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.commons.general/127> for more
> on this)
> 
> I assume this is a majority vote, not a consensus one, so this is just a
> vote, not a veto.  (If this is to be a concensus vote, I can probably be
> persuaded to change my vote to -0.  I don't really want to block this
> move if the majority really want to do it, I just think it is a bad idea
> at this time.)
> 
>  - Rod
> 
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Tim O'Brien wrote:
> 
> > Codec, a small - probably the smallest - piece of code in Jakarta-land.
> > Is well suited for inclusion in Apache Commons.  I propose that Codec be
> > used as a guinea pig of sorts to test the waters of Apache Commons.  It
> > is not language specific, and it is something that could be excised from
> > the Commons with limited fuss.
> >
> > To this end, I propose that Jakarta Commons Codec be officially
> > transformed into Apache Commons Codec.
> >
> > Simultaneous with the move from J-C to A-C -
> >
> > #1. Commons Codec will be hosted on Subversion
> >
> > Why?  Subversion is ready and superior in almost every aspect.  Moving
> > smaller projects such as this one to Subversion will allow us to iron
> > out any kinks, and will help nudge more projects in this direction.
> >
> > #2. Commons Codec will use Jira for issue tracking.
> >
> > #3. All committers to Commons Codec are also granted access to Apache
> > Commons
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org
> >
> >
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message