commons-dev mailing list archives

From steve cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:07:40 GMT
This makes a lot of sense, Daniel, and as long as I stay unemployed, I will
even have time to devote to the project :-)

I am not completely CVS-literate and setting up the branches is beyond my
current level of experience but probably would be good experience for me.

I am working now on a system that should help our interface with Ant.  There
has been quite a bit of complaining on the Ant list about the ability to
connect to non-unix servers.  We'd previously developed the ability to parse
other systems, but accessing them from an outside system like ant was still
impossible.  Ant could, of course, be recoded, but not, at this point,
without requiring it to have far more knowledge of commons-net internals than
I think is healthy.  So I am developing an FTPFileEntryParserFactory and some
convenience methods in FTPClient to enable Ant to be recoded decently.

These changes will belong on the 1.2 branch.

Since the strings accepted by this factory method will have been chosen so as
to map to the output of the SYST command (with a backup facility for also
accepting a fully-qualified classname of the parser class), this system could
also be used to implement an auto-detect system.  I personally feel that that
is a bell-and-whistle that is less important than the ant interface, since a
programmer will usually know what system he is connecting to, or can easily
find out, but some have asked for it.

I can also make the HashMap-->Hashtable change for the 1.1.1 branch.  The JDK
1.1 incompatibility was DISCOVERED through failure of the unit test but the
offending code is in the class being tested, not the test itself.  I have
already checked in the fix to the test that does not expect the file list to
be in an order that the parser cannot guarantee.

And it sounds like you have an itch for doing the nio stuff.