commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Moving up to JVM 1.4+
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:41:31 GMT

--- "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> > This has come up in regards to using some of java.nio in Commons/Net
> also.
> > I say we leave the last release as 1.1 compatible and move on to using
> > 1.4+ for new versions.
>
> Personally, I use JVM 1.4+, myself.  However, everytime we do a survey
> on
> server-user, we get emphatic feedback from our users to preserve support
> for
> JVM 1.3.1.  Before dropping support for pre-1.4 systems, perhaps it
> would be
> a good idea to raise the question on the user list?

There will always be users that will complain when changing Java versions.
   The only semi-valid reason I've heard to not upgrade to 1.4 is that
product X requires 1.3 and product X is expensive.

IMO, if the component needs 1.4 then you should move to 1.4.  The previous
1.3 compatible version of the component will still work after the change.
Product X shouldn't stand in the way of innovation :-).

David