commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <stevec...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [net] SYST/FTPClient.getSystemName()
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:53:41 GMT
Well, it sounds like only OS2 and Enterprise Unix are problematical.

I Googled "OS2 FTP" and I can't find a single publicly accessible FTP site
that runs OS2.  I did find this page:

http://www.sentex.net/kwos2cug/os2-ftp.html

which lists dozens of ftp sites RELATED to OS2.  The majority of them are
defunct and those that are still live are running on unix servers.  But for
now, it will be fine to use the "OS/2" key.  If anyone can provide more
accurate information, please send it on and we'll be happy to include it.

As for "Enterprise Unix", since it doesn't seem to identify itself as anything
different from regular Unix, we won't be able to provide auto-detection.

What I am envisioning now is a factory method like this:

public static FTPFileEntryParser createFileEntryParser(String key);

where key could be either one of the known strings ("UNIX", "OS/2", "Windows",
or "VMS") or else a fully qualified class name of a class that implements
FTPFileEntryParser (to accomodate Enterprise Unix and any user-written
parsers that may be out there).  If there are other versions of these keys in
existence, they, too can be allowed; we can have a many to one mapping
between keys and parsers.

This API would be exposed to outside clients such as Ant.  The ant <ftp> task
can be rewritten to have an additional attribute called, say, "servertype"
that the user can supply and the code rewritten to instantiate this parser
and use it.  This method can also be the guts behind an autodetection scheme
yet to be written.