commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: java name Re: What is Jakarta Commons?
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:03:28 GMT
I believe (but I Am Not A Lawyer) that we can use the
term "Java" to describe something on the homepage, but
that it cannot be the title of a project, nor could it
be used as a domain name.  Most sourceforge projects
that do so are probably in error from a legal
standpoint.

Anyway, that old domain name was cheesy.  :)

- Morgan

--- Henri Yandell <bayard@generationjava.com> wrote:

> Any idea how exactly the java trademark works with
> respect to our usage of
> it?
>
> For example, if we're talking about language based
> portals/foundries, can
> we actually call it the 'Apache Java Portal'? Or
> some such.
>
> How do Sourceforge get away with:
>
> http://java.foundries.sourceforge.net/ ?
>
> Presuming Jakarta remains as is, but some kind of
> Java-ASF-portal is also
> created, I'm just wondering how the word 'Java' can
> be linked to the name
> etc.
>
> Hen
>
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > We started with java.apache.org, but had to toss
> it for trademark reasons.
> > Thus, Jakarta was born.
> >
> > No going back now...

> For additional commands, e-mail: