commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:09:24 GMT

In message <245A7290F0E0D311BF6E009027E7908B07204A6D@atlanta.seagullsw.com>, Ga
ry Gregory writes:
>Well, now I am switched around to a "-1" as well :-(
>
>> From: Rodney Waldhoff
>> 1) a-c organization: I think the organizational structure of
>> apache-commons (one list per component, balkanized karma rights, etc.) is
>> bad for those components technically and socially, and possibly bad
>> for the ASF from an oversight perspective.
>
>I am not that familiar with a-c but I would prefer to keep all of the
>Jakarta commons in one lump as much as possible. It is nicer to work and
>explore in just one place, and perhaps offers more opportunity for
>cross-pollination between components.

I think something folks are missing is that if J-C moves to A-C, then
all J-C committers become A-C PMC Members and can change the rules that
don't make sense once A-C has incorporated J-C.  For example, and it's
only a hypothetical for expository purposes and not a suggestion, we
could create a jakarta@commons.apache.org list for components geared
toward supporting Jakarta projects instead of using per component lists.
ASF projects aren't implemented in a top-down fashion.  They evolve
to meet changing needs.  The A-C organization will change accordingly.

daniel