commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [maven] developer repository?
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:55:21 GMT
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, __matthewHawthorne wrote:

> I'm using Maven, but I frequently run into situations where a version of
> a jar I need isn't on ibiblio.  For example, yesterday at work I needed
> the postgres 7.4 jdbc driver, and also the new xdoclet 1.2, neither of
> which are there yet.
>
> For just a single developer, it's as easy as copying the jar to my local
> repository.  However, in a multi-developer, multi-site situation, it
> becomes a bit harder.  I don't want to have to manually provide these
> jars to my fellow developers.  For these newer jars, I'm thinking of
> checking them into our version control system and using Maven's jar
> override feature until they are uploaded onto ibiblio.
>
> Now, I've already filed requests for these files in the maven-upload
> category in Jira as the Maven guys have suggested.  However, this
> process seems to take some time.
>
> My idea is to create a developer repository somewhere on an
> apache/jakarta machine, that any committer can write to.  You could put
> a jar there, specify this url as a secondary repository, and be able to
> work until the jar gets put on ibiblio.
>
> It's just a quick idea that I thought of, that may make things easier.
> If I need a newer version of [betwixt] or [sql] or some other unreleased
> component, I can build it myself and put it in this developer repository.
>
> I'm already doing something like this in my public_html directory, but

As Noel pointed out, there's a repo project starting up elsewhere. In the
meantime, though, please be *very* careful about what you make available
in your public_html directory. Specifically, you need to ensure that the
licenses for all of those components permit redistribution, since that is
effectively what you are doing.

--
Martin Cooper