commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: class-mobility between packages
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2003 15:23:00 GMT
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> The 'line' is the release. Once code is released we have a duty of backwards
> compatability to it. Thats not to say it will never move, but it can only do
> so by deprecating the original.

I think we should be trying harder than that.

While we may not *need* to always maintain backward compatiablity with
unreleased code, in the sense that we haven't promised it to anyone, we
should strive to maintain compatiablity anyway.  To do otherwise is to
harm our early adopters, and to do that is to harm the project itself.

--
- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>