commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Fileupload] Progress bar
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:23:07 GMT
Quoting "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" <ejung@russellmellon.com>:

> Hi Yoav,
>
> "It's not small and contained for the container writers who have to support
> that listener."
>
> Granted, it may not be small and contained for them. However, contrast that
> level of work with the amount Craig is talking about ("a low level server API
> abstraction" with the servlet API built over that), and I think you'll agree
> the another EventListener that already fits nicely into the 2.4 EventListener
> paradigm is almost trivial in comparison. For what it's worth, I've done a
> lot of the work for supporting this EventListener in Tomcat, and so far it
> hasn't been that large a matter.

What's stopping you from doing this in a Filter already, since you get to
override the ServletInputStream if you want to?  It will work fine in any pure
Java environment (like standalone Tomcat), where the body of the message is not
consumed until the application asks for it.  No API changes required for that
-- just a Fiter implementation (and it would be usable on large POST and PUT
requests too, not just file uploads).

Craig