commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Pugh" <ep...@upstate.com>
Subject RE: [cache] project status query...
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:14:08 GMT
Re: [cache] project status query...To be honest, I think an abstraction
versus yet another implmentation would be more useful.  Currently I can
count off  maybe 10 or 15 different implementations of caching, all a bit
different..  Unless commons cache has something that makes it special, I
wouldn't be inclined to use it as yet another implementation.

For ideas on abstracting a cache, check out how Hibernate does it.  Being
able to work with multiple different types of cache's was one of the big
features in 2.1.

Eric
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Emmanuel Bourg [mailto:e.bourg@cross-systems.com]
  Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 12:09 PM
  To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
  Subject: Re: [cache] project status query...

  I suggested a new orientation for [cache] earlier this month but it
  hasn't received much feedback :

  http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg31432.html

  The idea was to turn it into an abstraction layer for cache
  implementations just like commons logging for logging implementations.
  Any thought on this ?

  Emmanuel Bourg