commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:37:49 GMT
From: "Tim O'Brien" <tobrien@discursive.com>
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> >Will you ask for your own mailing list?
> I don't see why not.  I would prefer this for a few reasons.  First, I
> think that the shared mailing list is distracting from the focus needed
> to produce quality software.  Second, I think that the shared mailing
> list leads to an unnecessarily bulky "community".
IMHO a small isolated mailing list is bad for the component, and bad for PMC
oversight. But I won't stop you.

> >Is there no affiliation with the rest of J-C as one community?
> >
> Why?  to make people in J-C feel better about themselves?    Seriously,
> I fly contrary to this spirit of self-affirmation.  Jakarta Commons is
> not a successful or thriving community.  I saw 2 CVS commit emails from
> Friday, and a lot of posturing and self-affirmation.
It is certainly true that commits are way down at present. And I blame the
PMC discussions for that. I've said before that I would prefer the board to
take action which would result in people getting back to their code.
However, it seems thats not the boards role, but damge is being caused as a
result.

Stephen