commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: What is Jakarta Commons?
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:32:41 GMT
From: "Rodney Waldhoff" <rwaldhoff@apache.org>
> "The subproject shall create and maintain packages written in the Java
> language, intended for use in server-related development, and designed to
> be used independently of any larger product or framework."
>
> in what way is anything in j-c "specifically different" from that
> statement?
The "intended for use in server-related development" is not something I
believe we should have any more. It creates an artificial limit which we
don't need. The "written in the Java language" is also perhaps slightly too
tight, as we shouldn't exclude [daemon].

Less importantly, the name 'package' is confusing, and component or product
might make more sense.

I'm not proposing radical change, just a tidying up of the charter,
especially to eliminate the parts that are clearly wrong. References to
"sponsoring subproject" and "catalog packages and other resources" are
especially inaccurate.

Stephen