commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: math to apache commons was Re: [all] Separate email list for math development?
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:25:41 GMT

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 9 Nov 2003, at 22:07, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
> > 1.) Plausible, I understand though that Apache Commons is under
> > subversion, will this be a challenge to migrate to?
>
> subversion is (by all accounts) very, very cool. everyone here at
> apache will be using it sooner or later. those nice people over at
> apache commons will allow commons-maths to use cvs initially (if that's
> what's needed) but it'd probably be worthing thinking about making the
> jump straight away.

You'll also have active support from those in favour of Subversion [coders
of which are at Apache] so I'd expect this to move smoothly.

> > 2.) How will we relate to Jakarta Commons? certainly we may have
> > dependencies on parts of the commons, but doesn't this leave little
> > room for jakarta commons components to utilize math as a dependency as
> > they are generally expected to be dependent on only other jakarta
> > commons projects.
>
> commons-maths will still be part of jakarta-commons :)
>
> it'll only be managed by the apache-commons pmc.

I'm with Rod here. It won't be a part of jakarta-commons, though it should
still be some kind of link on the Jakarta site. Jakarta Commons ought to
have a vote to add dependency on Apache Commons Java projects as an
acceptable concpet.

This does raise a question in the PMC-setup for the ASF. If a project is
meant to be a part of Jakarta and another project, ie) Commons, must there
be a 1 to 1 mapping on the PMCs.

Hen