commons-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Company Acknowledgements [was :Re: [HiveMind] 1.0 Beta]
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:33:56 GMT

I think the rules are pretty clear, the commiter has to be able to prove
that they are entitled to assign IP.
You sign a CLA and submit it to the ASF, *and* you get an agreement with
employers or whomever you may have contractually assigned any new IP to.
Either this has been done or it hasn't.
Which is it?
I don't think that the jakarta PMC or the board would wish to be involved
in any difference of opinion if there was any reasonable doubt about it.

d.

--- hlship@comcast.net wrote:
> There was an even earlier post, to Jakarta General, concerning this
> question of IP.  I maintain, due to the volume of code and concepts that
> were copied out of (or adapted out of) Tapestry that WebCT would not win
> any kind of legal challenge to the ownership of the IP ... but it would
> be murky, based on my employment with them overlapping the development.
> The point is, by making them happy, the IP, ownership, copyright, etc.,
> will be clearly owned by the ASF which is in the best interests of
> myself, the HiveMind project, the ASF and WebCT.

This answer isn't making me feel any better about the issues surrounding
HiveMind.  We need an official ruling from the ASF (or other suitable
Apache governing body) before HiveMind can move forward.

David

(
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apa
> > che.org&msgId=1096118), it seems to me that either the PMC and/or the
> Board
> > ought to be directly brought into the loop.  As you said,
> "fortunately,
> > nobody's out to cause trouble", but it could easily have gone the
> other way
> > (and it isn't resolved, yet).
> >
> > Robert Leland made the same comment to you on October 27th, about
> receiving
> > some guidance from the Foundation.  Corporate software grants, such as
> the
> > one with BEA for XMLBeans, are certainly do-able.  But for a PMC and
> the
> > Board to ensure proper oversight within a TLP and across the ASF,
>
> > respectively, they need to be made aware of when problems such as this
> one
> > arise.
> >
> >          --- Noel

viruses.