commons-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: math to apache commons was Re: [all] Separate email list for math development?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:05:43 GMT

Robert wrote:
> IMHO we're now starting to forget the original
> charter.

Gier replied:
> Starting???  :)  Please, we've been stretching the charter for *years*.

Isn't that a major contributory factor in the, how can I put it.. "concern"
expressed in some quarters about Jakarta?
And if so is it not also something we should be addressing by being
realistic about issues like this one?

> You're notion of sorting it out seems to be "remove from Jakarta
> community".  That may be what the people involved want to do, which is
> fine by me, but if they want to stay, it behooves us on the PMC to try
> and see what we can do to help them out.

I'd say that if there is not a _real_ justification for math being in
Jakarta which is aligned with Jakarta's mission it is our duty to Jakarta
to be realistic about math, and not simply to fudge an artificial
accomodation, avoid tough the decisons, and provide ammunition for critics
of Jakarta's organisation.

I would then feel that I had a moral obligation to the math community to
help them find an acceptable new home, and Apache commons seems like a
perfectly reasonable suggestion.
After all if the math "mission" really is divergent from our charter then
leaving won't be a big wrench, on the other hand if it is aligned well with
the charter that is enough justification for math staying. Surely?

d.

viruses.