commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [site] Non-Maven web sites
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:22:22 GMT
On 22 Nov 2003, at 20:57, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> First, we need to settle the issue of what goes in CVS.  If "all
>> generated HTML" is the answer, we need to get all of the maven-
>> generated HTML committed (many megs of redundant content, many
>> redundant commit messages IMHO).
>
> What makes that any different from any Anakia or Forrest built site?

it's a difference of scale.

by default, maven generates a *lot* of pages and recreates them new
everytime. it's easy to supervise an anakia generated site by watching
the cvs diffs. the quantity of commits from a mavenized build will
probably obscure the actual substance of the changes.

i'd personally find it very difficult to read all the commit mails from
all the components in jakarta-commons if we started storing the sites
in maven. this would raise questions about whether jakarta-commons can
be properly supervised.

i wonder whether we could create a separate reactor style build for the
web site. this could generate the content for everything into docs
(say). this would have the advantage that all projects would have their
sites updated together but would mean that it'd take quite a time to
regenerate everything.

maybe we could petition infrastructure to use moof to build the site
automatically and then rsync to minotaur...

- robert