commons-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [hivemind] what exactly is the issue here?
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:49:53 GMT

On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 12:35 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> We're not the ones whom Howard needs to discuss this with.
>
>> Yes and no.  I'm on the Jakarta PMC, you're an ASF member, we're
>> both jakarta commons committers, so I belive and as I understand
>> it, we are among the ones Howard needs to discuss this with.
>
> In your capacity as a Jakarta PMC member, yes.  And there are other PMC
> members here, such as Craig, Danny, and Howard, himself, IIRC.
>
> I don't care if he talks with me about this situation or not; the
> Board are
> our elected Officers, with the experience to resolve such matters, or
> bring
> them to the membership if they felt the need.  However, Howard has an
> obligation to notify the Foundation when an IP issue arises.  Even
> though
> there is reason to believe that this situation will work out fine, and
> even
> if the PMC and Board would delegate to him the ability to work out the
> plan
> within some guidelines, keeping them out of the loop is not his
> decision to
> make.  I am honestly not sure what he's thinking in terms of why he
> has not
> brought the issue to the PMC and/or Board.  Some of his messages seem
> imply that he feels that if he did, there would be drastic action.

If this continues this way, there probably will be drastic action,
namely removing material of questionable IP provenance from Apache CVSs
(temporarily) while the issues are resolved.  I think that while there
are many PMC members here, I think a note to the PMC outlining the
issues and status would be a great start.

geir

geirm@optonline.net