commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: [site] Non-Maven web sites
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:18:23 GMT

On Nov 22, 2003, at 3:47 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> There are two things that need to be resolved to make this happen,
> AFAIK.  First, we need to settle the issue of what goes in CVS.  If
> "all generated HTML" is the answer, we need to get all of the
> maven-generated HTML committed (many megs of redundant content, many
> redundant commit messages IMHO).  Second, we need to agree on a common
> nav (as stated on the Wiki page).  My vote would be to use
> commons/incl_nav uniformly. Several of the existing maven sites (both
> linked and unlinked) don't include this.  I also agree with the Wiki
> proposal for the "standard" pages (FAQ, examples, etc).
>
> I deployed the lang maven site a couple of weeks ago and have been
> waiting to see where the CVS debate ended up (and some cleanup of the
> main site, so I could safely regenerate and commit all of the nav
> changes) before linking it (with some fixes).
>
> I am willing to help with this, starting with [lang] and
> [collections], first getting the basic sites out and then adding the
> missing pages. I am also willing to help document whatever site
> generation / cvs update process we agree on.
>
> Can we agree to omit the maven-generated HTML from cvs and use
> commons/incl_nav for the standard nav?

I would certainly prefer to exclude the maven-generated HTML from CVS.
The state of the HttpClient site is currently in limbo pending a
consensus on this question.

As far as the standard nav goes, I think the idea is good, but the
current layout of it does not appeal to me.  In particular some of the
most important information, the Project Documentation section, is
obfuscated by showing up at the end of the nav.  Is this a configurable
option?

Mike