commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ash .." <equinus...@hotmail.com>
Subject [collections] MapUtils.getXxx() return types
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:44:33 GMT

I am curious to know why MapUtils does not have getters that return
primitive types. Perhaps there was a discussion on whether it was needed or
not, you could point me to such discussion that took place in the past when
this class was conceived.
In any case, I think that getters that return primitives could be very
useful, much more than those that return wrapper objects. Thus, I think we
could do with methods like:

MapUtils.getDoubleValue(Map map, Object key [,defaultValue]);

If the answer to my question is "you can do a MapUtils.getDouble(map,
key).doubleValue() and so on",
I would say, having a built-in method enhances the use of this class than
having a programmer resort to such multiple method call. Of course, the
internal implementation would do the same, but in the end, client code would
look far neater.

Let me know,
Ash