commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Arun Thomas" <arun.tho...@paybytouch.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] emeritus committers?
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:01:00 GMT
AMammenT - Arun Mammen Thomas - active :) just haven't committed since being voted in as a
commiter a month+ ago.

-AMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodney Waldhoff [mailto:rwaldhoff@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 9:38 AM
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [PROPOSAL] emeritus committers?

There is a perception in some circles that Jakarta as a whole, and Jakarta
Commons in particular, is too large for sufficient PMC oversight.   In my
opinion, particularly with respect to Jakarta Commons, this is not the case, but one way to
combat that perception is to recognize that although the CVS avail file lists 72 committers
for the jakarta-commons repository (see http://cvs.apache.org/~rwaldhoff/jakarta/jakarta-committers.html),
not all of those folks are actively working in Jakarta Commons anymore. Removing inactive
committers from the avail file (and naming them emeritus
committers) is one way to recognize that fact.

The jakarta guidelines state "At times, Committers may go inactive for a variety of reasons.
A Committer that has been inactive for 6 months or more may lose their status as a Committer.
Getting access back is as simple as re-requesting it on the project's Developer mailing list."
<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html>

The following 16 folks are listed in the CVS avail file, but have not made any commits in
the past year (since 13 Nov 2002):

amamment - Arun Mammen Thomas
arron - Arron Bates
conor - Conor MacNeill
dsale - Doug Sale
dwinterfeldt - David Winterfeldt
hammant - Paul Hammant
husted - Ted Husted
jariw - jariw AT hyperlink-interactive DOT co DOT uk
jefft - Jeff Turner
marcsaeg - Marc Saegesser
mas - Michael Smith
nacho - Ignacio J. Ortega
noel - Noel J. Bergman
paulo - Paulo Gaspar
serge - Serge Knystautas
vmassol - Vincent Massol

It may be that some of these folks have been "active" in non-CVS ways, for instance, by posting
to the commons-user or commons-dev lists, I haven't checked (nor am I exactly sure how I could
programmaticly check that).

Removing those 16 would reduce the number of active committers to 56, a more that 20% reduction
in the perceived size of jakarta-commons (by that metric at least).

Just to clarify, I have no issues with any or all of those folks maintaining access to the
jakarta-commons CVS module, nor is this some sort of judgment of a lack of activity (indeed
there are a number of folks on that list that I have a lot of respect for).  Rather, this
is a recognition that those folks have moved on for the time being and an attempt to make
the perceived size of Jakarta Commons more accurately reflect the reality of the matter.
As the guidelines state, a simple post to commons-dev would be all that is needed to restore
direct CVS access and reverse the inactive status.

The Proposal:

Unless anyone on that list wants to declare themselves "active" right now (or someone else
can vouch for some sort of commons related activity in the past year or so), let's invoke
that paragraph of the jakarta guidelines and declare these folks "inactive" committers.  Specifically,
let's:

(1) remove those folks from the avail file and

(2) add an "emeritus committers" page (or section of some existing page) to the jakarta-commons
website that acknowledges their contributions and indicates the mechanism by which they can
once again get CVS access.

--
- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>