commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Arun Thomas" <arun.tho...@paybytouch.com>
Subject RE: TimerMap
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:00:36 GMT
IMHO, if the intention is that this class should be used only in contexts (the specific cases)
that are _always_ aware of the implementation, then I would be -1 to implementing the Map
interface - even if the methods are the same.  I would also then change the interface to represent
only those methods that ought to be used in this context - put/get, removing values() and
keySet() in particular.

On another point - any reason why TimerMapKey is public?

I still think it's something very useful!

Cheers,
-AMT

-----Original Message-----
From: James Carman [mailto:james@carmanconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 10:36 AM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
Subject: RE: TimerMap

I wouldn't worry so much about the iterator issue.  Remember, this map implementation is to
be used in specific cases.  And, when somebody uses it, they should probably understand that
there are multiple threads modifying the map.  I would say that you can get by with a warning
in the JavaDoc on this one.  No need to get overly complicated here IMHO.