commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Keyes <j...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [all] Separate email list for math development?
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:59:53 GMT
> I think the concern is more so that the content (mathematical
> algorithms) is outside the scope of interest of the Commons in
> general, while the discussions concerning package design are
> interesting to commons in general. This is much in the same way that
> the Http protocol discussions of HttpClient were too subject specific
> to be of interest of Commons and thus a new list was spawned for that
> subject matter.

 From what I remember HttpClient was granted a dedicated list
purely based on the high level of traffic.  I cannot see
any real benefits of creating new lists purely on this basis
(apart from the bandwidth saved, though if this is a concern
you would probably be receiving digest mails or use gmane).

> "Commons Math Developers" would be a list where discussion about
> internal algorithm issues can be discussed without the huge amounts of
> email we generate in the process getting dumped into the commons
> developer list and requiring filtering by everyone else.
>
> Of course we would promote that many Commons Developers actually join
> both lists and it still would be highly promoted that issues
> concerning the interaction of math with other Commons components be
> discussed on the Commons Developer list directly.

This means we have automatically complicated the interaction
between Math developers and their community.  I just see
this as another layer of unnecessary indirection.

> Its a tough call, I'm not quite convinced theres enough [math]
> activity yet (even though I opened up the discussion). I fact, there
> was a long period in the fall where we didn't open any new discussions
> about math.

My reason for commenting on this thread is to see if we can
identify a real problem rather than segregating projects
from the community.

-John K