commons-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Hudak <CHu...@arrowheadgrp.com>
Subject RE: [lang] new functionality in StringUtils and ArrayUtils - prop osal 01
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:48:28 GMT
The ideas of 'flank' and 'lead' are better suggested through the use of the
terms "append" and "prepend".

When you 'flank' "abc" with "def" you are appending the string "abc" with
"def"
StringUtils.append("abc", "def"); //-->"abcdef"

When you 'lead' "abc" with "def" you are prepending the string "def" to
"abc"
StringUtils.prepend("abc", "def"); //-->"defabc"

-----Original Message-----
From: ASHWIN Suresh [mailto:a.suresh@sigmatel.net.ma]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 16:43
To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
Cc: 'equinus100@Hotmail.com'
Subject: RE: [lang] new functionality in StringUtils and ArrayUtils -
prop osal 01

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Gregory [mailto:ggregory@seagullsw.com]

>   StringUtils.flank(String flankee, String flank)
>   StringUtils.flank(String flankee, char flank)

> I am not fond of the word "flank", it is not part of my string
manipulation
vocabulary, maybe it is a Perl thing? I think "wrap" or your other "enclose"
is *much* better for things like that.

[Ash]
I proposed the term "flank" simply because the concept is that of flanking,
and
I don't know if it has been used in any string manip jargon. Wrap already
has
a specific significance, and I am trying to get a fine distinction between
"flank" and "enclose".

>   * StringUtils.flank("", *)        = *

This one does not seem quite right:

StringUtils.flank("", "x") = "x"

> Should it not be = "xx"?

[Ash]
Sorry, yes, it should be "xx". Mea culpa.

>   /**
>    * <pre>
>    * StringUtils.doubleQuote("Now is the time...") = "Now is the time..."
>    * </pre>
>    */
>   StringUtils.doubleQuote(String quotee)

> The edge cases are not specified in the above. An @see could also do be
added to avoid duplicating the edge case docs.

>   StringUtils.lead(String leadee, String leadChar)

hmmm... "abc" + "zz" = "zzabc"

[Ash]
Because "abc" is 'lead' by "zz".

> Unless you want to handle edge cases specifically this seems over the
top...

Gary