commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mainguy, Mike" <MMain...@kmart.com>
Subject RE: [lang][codec] Sanity checking a client project build
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:58:52 GMT
I'd love to have unit tests that I can run whenever I patch my system.  As a
matter of fact, I predict that an OS vendor who could provide that would
make a killing with corporations who are tired of patching their patched
patches to ensure the fixpack patches don't overlay their patched fixpacks.

If you've ever worked with a multi OS/multi hardware platform shop, you'd
know it would be great to have SOME sort of test to give you a warm fuzzy
feeling.

My $.02

worse is better

-----Original Message-----
From: John Keyes [mailto:jbjk@mac.com]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 12:51 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [lang][codec] Sanity checking a client project build

> I'll start this topic on [lang] and [codec] only since I am active
> here.
>
> I am considering adding to the unit test suite of /my/ project the
> unit tests of 3rd party libraries. Why do this? As a simple sanity
> check. Our project uses [lang], [codec], [pool], [cli], [collections],
> Xerces, Xalan. I
> would like the confidence added to /my/ project, that all of these
> pieces
> are working as advertised and that no side effects exists.

Do you require the tests for your OS to make sure it works as
advertised?
I think you're being a bit paranoid as you should only depend on
*released*
code not on any dev or snapshot builds.

-John K

This message and its contents (to include attachments) are the property of Kmart Corporation
(Kmart) and may contain confidential and proprietary information. You are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on information contained herein is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized use of information
contained herein may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution and penalties. If you are
not the intended recipient, you should delete this message immediately.