commons-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: math to apache commons was Re: [all] Separate email list for math development?
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:47:56 GMT

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 05:41 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> a move to apache commons would allow this progression to happen much
> more easily.

Why?

>  the rules which apply here in the jakarta-commons about components
> and distributions would make things difficult. within a math group in
> the apache commons, different products could be developed by the same
> group of contributors with greater freedom. it would also allow gui
> visualization components to be developed (which we cannot allow here
> at jakarta).

I just can't understand what you mean.  To be clear :

0) What rules make things difficult?

1)  In Jakarta-Commons, the developers have the freedom to develop what
they want, when they want to in their projects.  Additionally,
developers can go off to the sandbox and do whatever they want, and
when they feel that they have something solid, as to bring it to the
commons community.  Did math have any trouble starting, defining their
project, or implementing things they way they wanted?

2) I have a feeling that no one would utter a peep if someone did some
GUI extensions to a project here at Jakarta.  We've always been willing
to stretch the meaning of our charter (hence POI), and if it really
came to be a problem, I think we would try to work it out.

geir

geirm@optonline.net