commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [collections] CaseInsensitiveHashMap
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:22:38 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Something like this would be required, yes. I'm kindof hoping someone will
> volunteer to write the HashMapA class so we can get this started. For
> reasons related to the new MapIterator it needs to go into v3.0.

I don't understand exactly what you are looking for here.  Can you explain
in a little more detail what you mean by the following:

"HashMapA differs from HashMap in that the hashing algorithm and
equals comparison methods are dedicated protected methods. It then
becomes easy for a subclass to be written that compares keys using
case insensitivity (amongst other things). HashMapA would also have a
mapIterator() method to
access the new map iterator concept."

What exactly are the semantics of put and get in MapA?  How do these
relate to the equals (presumably among keys) and hashing (presumably for
values) functions?  For a CaseInsensitiveMap, would MapA end up storing
multiple keys for the same value if they were entered separately?

Also, for the CaseInsensitiveMap (equivalence relation) use case, why
exactly is this better than just decorating with a key transformer and
allowing access to the decorated map (to allow keySet() to have a
meaningful reference)?

Finally, why is MapA necessary for "the new MapIterator"?

I don't mean to be argumentative here, I am just not understanding what
you are proposing.

Phil