commons-dev mailing list archives

From Robert <rob...@bull-enterprises.com>
Subject Re: to the developers of Jelly
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:37:50 GMT
I am not a committer, but I have been using Jelly for quite some time
and I do not believe this is yet possible. Having said that, there are a
couple of options here.

The first is that you can create your own tags, much like you can create
your own JSP tags. See:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jelly/overview.html

The second is that you can create tags using Jelly itself using the
'define' taglibrary. I have not done this myself but I just looked at
the CVS source and there are examples in the unit tests for doing this.

A third option is to use the invokeStatic jelly tag. Since JSP 2.0
functions are public static methods, you can use your JSP function class
in Jelly. For for your example, it would look like:

<j:invokeStatic var="testValue" method="myfunction"
className="my.FunctionClass">
	<j:arg value="${param.value}" />
</j:invokeStatic>
<j:if test="${testValue}">
  ... do something.
</j:if>

Not the same syntax, but the same results.

Robert McIntosh